[Sca-cooks] Sourdough Article

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 19:20:08 PDT 2003

Bear commented:
> Since yeasts tend to be highly localized and there are a great many
> species
> and variants of Lactobacillus, the hypothesis that sourdoughs in
> different
> areas have different Lactobacillus is a pretty good bet.  Most of us
> who
> work with sourdough think the variations in the yeast and lactobacillus
> account for the variations in flavor.
You are saying that the yeast makes more of a difference in the taste
of the resulting bread than does the choice of flour or other added
ingredients? Or do you just mean variations in taste of loaves made in
different localities but made with the same ingredients? I would think
using whole wheat instead of a white wheat or a soft wheat instead of a
hard wheat would make the biggest difference in taste, but then I'm not
a baker. Or at least haven't been for about 30 something years.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com