[Sca-cooks] paprika

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Sun Aug 24 18:48:15 PDT 2003

General rule of thumb for ground spices is 1-2 years. The other general
rule of thumb is if you can still smell it, it's still potent. Since the
paprika has been stored in a cool place and out of light, and if the
plastic wrap as been airtight,  it has a better chance. If the paprika
still has an aroma, moving it to the fridge will help prolong what life
it still has.

While where is is right now (and I know more details than the list does)
may have exposed it to a little moisture during the last winter, it was
also cold. On the other hand, where it was before that I know had
moisture problems.

All in all, it may have just lost full potency (so the hot is closer to
mild, and the mild makes for a nice garnish now).

Reality test: open the mild and smell it, or even take a small taste.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at mind.net
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)