[Sca-cooks] Class ideas

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Aug 25 10:37:19 PDT 2003

My camp-mate and I were thinking about different classes we'd be
interested in seeing in cookery (after he planned to attend 'when the
pottage hits the fan' under the impression it was going to be about
pottages!) And these are some we came up with:

Grain and Green Pottages
Choosing wines for medieval cooking
Deboning fresh fowl
How to carve [a chicken, a roast]
Humoral theory & Saucing
Orders of Food Service in the Kitchen & the Hall
Sallads, period-style
Period cooking terms
Spit roasting 101

*********************
Spit roasting 201--how to make the weighted apparatus that turns the spit
slowly
Period tablecloths
A history of glassware for beverages
A demo of how cooking tools are made of iron or wood
Deboning and using all the edible parts of a fish
A Map to Period Cuts of Meat and a translation to modern terms
Bread Oven 101--How to make a bread oven
Bread Oven 102--How to do the first firing
Bread Oven 201--How to cook basic things in it
Bread Oven 202--How to cook more advanced things
Illusion Food 101--Beginning Marzipan
Illusion Food 102--Intermediate Marzipan
Illusion Food 201--Beginning Sugar Plate
Illusion Food 202--Intermediate Sugar Plate
Illusion Food 301--A Vase of Vegetable/Fruit Flowers
Illusion Food 302--Other items carved from vegetables and fruit
Illusion Food 401--Stained Glass Cookies
Illusion Food 501--Other illusion foods
Cooks Guild 101--How to Organize a Guild
Cooks Guild 102--How to organize a team and preparation for an event
Firebuilding 102--How to build and maintain fires and coals for various
kinds of cooking
Camp Cookery 101--Easy Camp Foods, Basic Health and Safety
Camp Cookery 102--Intermediate Foods/techniques
Camp Cookery 201--Advanced Foods/techniques
Camp Cookery 202--More Advanced Foods/techniques
Camp Cookery 301--Camping without a cooler and minimal cooking
Camp Cookery 302--Camping without a cooler and a medium amount of cooking
Wine 201--Making Wines for Medieval Cooking
Wine 202--Making Vinegars for Medieval Cooking
Home Olive Curing and Great Olive Marinades
Food Preservation 101--Drying
Food Preservation 102--Fermenting, Pickling
Food Preservation 201--How to Build a Smoker
Food Preservation 202--How to Smoke Foods
Food Preservation 301--Basic Cheeses
Food Preservation 302--Flavored Cheeses
Food as Medicine 101-??? --Using foods and herbs to treat various
      conditions, organized by either the condition or the food
Mustards
Mustard based sauces
Fruit based sauces
Food Related Aspects of the Period Marketplace
Food Traderoutes
How to make salt
Methodical Recipe Recreation OR Ok, you tried it and didn't
      like it.  What part of the recipe should you change for the next try?
Beyond Sekanjabin--other medieval nonalcoholic beverages
Ethnic Food 101--??? A focus on the food items of various countries and
groups with each class having a different focus.  And more than one class
per country/group where the food items changed significantly over time
Period Pottery 101-??? A focus on the pottery and decorations on the pottery
of various countries and groups
The Period Kitchen Garden 101--??? various countries and groups
The Period Herb Garden 101--??? various countries and groups
The Period Orchard 101--??? various countries and groups
Sourdough 101--Care and feeding of starters, basic breads
Sourdough 102--Intermediate Breads
Sourdough 201--Advanced Breads
Sourdough 202--Stuffed Breads
Sourdough 301--Illusion Breads
Medieval Table and Hall Decor
Medieval Picnics, Period and/or Modern with Period style food
Slides from an Archeological Site--How we used bones, shells,
    empty or broken containers, and microscopic pollen from middens to tell
what they ate
Four Days in the Life from Four Different Seasons of  a "Insert Medieval
Food Related Job Here"

Sharon
gordonse at one.net