Flavoring foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Keeping cheesecake

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 26 04:58:43 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

. I like highly, but
> clearly, flavored foods, foods that, well, for lack of a better term,
> sing, and too often cheesecakes like the one I mentioned (as far as I
> know, it was fictional) are mish-moshes that don't... again, for lack
> of a better term, sing.
>
> Adamantius

Suspect that's why we get along ;-) I, too, like highly flavored foods that
express clearly what's in them- for example, I sauteed my lamb chops last
night in olive oil with garlic cloves, thus letting the lamb and the garlic
express themselves. Where I get complex- and I suspect that you do, too- is
looking for what Paul Prudhomme described as "roundness" of flavor, where a
bit of this and a bit of that help surpress some elements of flavor, while
accentuating others. I suspect that that's why I tend to cook well for
others- if I know their preferences, adjusting seasonings to their tastes is
more a matter of adjusting the volume, than rearranging the entire score ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.