[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Blood Drive

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 27 04:59:08 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I think Phlip's idea of providing some period food for Pennsic blood
> donors might be nice. But Phlip, did you mean a feast at some
> particular time? Or did you mean munchies all during the donation time
> so that the donors could get some of after giving? I assume the latter.

Actually, if we can pull it off, I'd like to see a dayboard sort of thing,
available to all donors and companions, throughout the day. One problem we
had was that some of the folks who had never donated before didn't realize
that they needed to eat beforehand, since evry time they go to the Dr, the
Dr wants them to have an empty stomach. The other thing is that several
women were deferred because their iron levels were too low. If we were to
address having plenty of iron-rich, tasty food on hand, we might be able to
make a significant decrease in the number of defferals.

> Particularly in the heat of Pennsic providing something right after
> giving might be good. Don't they often have mundane items for this at
> regular blood drives? I don't know the details. If these refreshments
> are meant for a specific purpose to replenish particular minerals or
> vitamins, perhaps there are some period equivalents which will serve
> the same purpose as well.

Well, there is a standard food pack that gets sent to every drive, but it's
pretty limitted, which is why I felt we could do better. For example,
Scotti's Aine was unable to eat anything because of her celiac difficulty,
and others who were on Atkins, or were type 2 diabetics had similar
problems. I'm thinking that if we set up a dayboard along the lines of
something Jadwiga or Andrea produce, we'd encourage donors, make more folk
able to donate, and encourage the phlebotamists and other staff to FIGHT for
a chance to serve Pennsic. Win-win, on all sides ;-)

> Providing them throughout the day(s) might also ease the logistics as
> they could be made in smaller batches than a feast. I've heard
> Sekanjabin called "period Gatorade". Would that be a good item? That is
> rather inexpensive to make in quantity and a quantity of the syrup
> could be kept on hand as well as some jugs of water and made up through
> the day(s) with occasional trips to the Cooper's store to pick up some
> ice. Perhaps the Coopers would be willing to donate the ice.
> --------
> THLord Stefan li Rous

And, all the other ideas we can come up with would be helpful. Also, maybe
some of you can take the ball and get it rolling for other Wars and big
events.

I cannot tell y'all how strongly Isupport SCA getting behind something as
potentially life-saving as a Blood Drive. While many folks have set up
things to help other mundane charitable organizations through SCA, truly, a
gift of a pint of blood is a gift from the heart.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.