[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Blood Drive

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 27 10:04:24 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Ok, I'm hearing my name called. *wry Grin*
>
> Are we talking: meat and bread and things to put on bread, plus fruit and
> veggies? Do we want pies (spinach pie, anyone?) Do we want sweets? Who
> does good sweets? (All I do is comfits.)
>

> -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Well, I wasn't trying to volunteer you, but if you want to volunteer, my
friend, I most certainly won't stop you ;-)

Margali provided an interesting menu:

> spinach and cheese pasties [using the ubiquitous dim sum presses=)]
> some beans are iron rich, chick pea cookies? also solves the celiac
problem.
> spiced nuts [atkins, celiac]
> candied orange peels [just yummy, and a sugar boost]
> prinzbiscuits or fine cakes from digbys
> uncommon, but beef jerky and peperoni for us atkids as well...

> sekanjabin and other syrups as drinks work well

> and of course, the ubiquitous gatorade, orange juice and dry cookies for
> the peopel who dont want the nifty new stuff...

And that makes a good start. The last paragraph could easily be supplied by
the Red Cross- they normally provide that sort of thing anyway- it's in
their budget, so I don't think we'd need to worry about that.

One of the things that would help, is to keep in mind that iron is
metabolized better when iron rich foods are combined with vitamin C rich
foods.

Iron rich foods include organ meats, particularly liver, red meat itself,
green leafy vegetables, including kale as well as spinach, most of the
beans, nuts, dried fruits, and enriched grains, including rice, if it isn't
washed prior to cooking.

Also (she says with a sly grin) the church where we did the donations has a
small kitchen, with lots of coffee pots, a range, and a refrigerator. I
suspect, that if we cleaned up very carefully, we might get permission to
use some of those facilities from the pastor. In fact, I can easily see
modifying the facilities as they were used for this year's blood drive very
slightly, in terms of table placement and arranging and organizing so that
an extensive dayboard type of thing might be very doable.

In addition to Margali's suggestions, how about a nice pate, with maybe
truffles? Perhaps a couple of soup/stew types of things- one vegan, the
other for omnivores? Perhaps a stirfry over enriched rice? To feed these
folks, we don't hafta make vast quantities of stuff, like we normally would
a dayboard, but if folks were to donate a pot or a plate of something, like
we might do for a potluck, there would be lots of different things for
people to try, spaced throughout the day, with always something hot and
filling available, along with more snacky types of foods- bread and meats
and sandwich-type makings as Jadwiga suggested.

And, yes, sweets are to be encouraged for those of us without diabetic
issues- they help get the blood sugar up right after the donation. I was
hucking an immediate glass of water, followed by a cup of pop, to help with
the liquid to replace the blood- anyone who demurred got a gimlet eye and a
question- "Do you really want to argue with a cranky old Chirurgeon?" For
some reason, they didn't ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.