[Sca-cooks] "All the King's Cooks"

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 28 07:05:30 PDT 2003

The redactions are fine. It's a British book so he gives things such as
900g/ (2 lb) or 1150 ml (2 pt) and oven temperatures are 180 degrees C
(350 degrees F, gas mark 4). The recipe instructions are given in
numbered paragraphs and are quite complete.

Why should we doubt the work of Peter Brears?
Brears after all did the Tudor sections for the English Heritage series
which was released in hardbound as A Taste of History. He also published
some of the sugarpaste/dessert recipes in the conference proceedings
from Leeds that was edited and released as 'Banquetting Stuffe' under
the guidance of C. Anne Wilson. Moreover, these recipes are based on the
work of Brears and his staff through the years of actually working in
these kitchens and putting on these sorts of feasts at Christmastime
beginning in the early 1990's.

All in all it's a very good book and for anyone into Tudor-Elizabethan
cookery a must have volume. Just because I own 10,000 plus cookbooks and
books on food history does not mean that I do not examine and carefully
review volumes that I recommend. As a librarian as well as collector, it
would be professionally irresponsible not to carefully consider which
volumes I care to endorse. This is one of the great volumes. I use and
recommend it often.

Johnnae llyn Lewis