originals and redactions Re: [Sca-cooks] "All the King's Cooks"

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 28 09:02:58 PDT 2003

But this is the question that comes up whenever one approaches any
cookbook that features traditional or heirloom or historical recipes.
The question always arises as to how true the recipes are with what was
actually being cooked. Did the author stand at the grandmother's elbow
and record every measurement that was made? Was the recipe simplified
for an American audience because the ingredients were not available? Was
the recipe and method and amounts improved upon or edited for length by
the author or the editor? Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volume 2,
[1970] contains a recipe for "croissants" that begins on page 96 and
ends on page 103. Most recipes today are at best a page or a long
paragraph. The better books discuss the recipes and the dishes and
mention any changes or variations, but this is not alway the case.

With regard to Brears it ought to be noted that the audience in Britain
for this book is partly made up of teachers who are looking for
information for their National Curriculum studies. With regard to the
original recipes, Brears notes that
"The fact that their recipes consist usually of little more than a list
of ingredients demonstrates that they were simply aides-memoire, for
they already knew by heart all the major repertoires and finer points of
technique. It is worth noting that only in recent years have some
cookery books descended to the level of idiots' guides, proffering
foolproof methods for boiling eggs!"

Had the original recipes been included the book might easily have been
another 50 pages longer and cost perhaps 1/3 more. Given the cost
factors, I think that this is the corner that was cut. They kept the
drawings and color photography and directed the readers to the original
sources via footnotes and a bibliography.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote: snipped