originals and redactions Re: [Sca-cooks] "All the King's Cooks"

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 28 20:53:21 PDT 2003

> jenne> As a librarian, it seems to me that a book that is inaccurate is much
> jenne> worse than one that is accurate but only references rather than
> jenne> reproducing the originals...
> jenne>
>
>     As a historian I must immediately wonder, without the original
> sources what makes you think the redactions ARE accurate?

Same way you would find out if any other secondary source is accurate-- as
a historian-- follow the footnotes to the original source(s).

I admit that there _are_ people's redactions I will use like a regular
cookbook, if I'm in a hurry or whatever, though I like to work from the
original.

Occasionally, I will use a variation that is not in the original but in
someone's redaction-- such as sauteeing the raisins in the bacon fat
before adding the spinach, when making Chopped Spinach from De Nola.

>Personally I
> don't use redactions at all.  I don't use printed ones, nor do I create
> my own, I just follow the receipt.

I tend to write down redactions when I need to multiply something.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
   - Henry Kissinger