[Sca-cooks] Help with a translation - OT

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 30 23:15:07 PDT 2003

Ana replied to Gunthar with:
> Swedish:
> "Bättre att vara död än utan heder"

This may be excellant for modern Swedish, but Gunthar did you want the
translation in modern Swedish or modern German or in that of your time
period? And if so, what is that time period? I seem to remember 13th or
14th century.

I know French and English has changed quite a lot since then. I suspect
that Swedish or German has too.

 From the comments posted here in the past I wouldn't trust the computer
translator programs, especially in phrases like this where a literal
translation may not be appropriate.

I have a pair of large files of Latin translations in the HERALDRY
section of the Florilegium. Unfortunately, I don't have any in any
other languages. Most of my translations were done by Gunnora
Hallakarva. In many cases she will point out where a literal
translation would not have been how the Romans would have said a phrase
of similar meaning. In some cases you will find that the concept you
are trying to get across simply does not exist in the other language.

Stefan

> Michael Gunter wrote:
> > I need a translation into either Swedish or a Germanic language of
> > my motto:
> > Better to be dead than dishonored.
> >
> > If I could have it soon, I'd really appreciate it. I'm making a
> > personal banner and would like to have the motto.
>
> > Gunthar
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com