[Sca-cooks] Cheese, warm or cold (was: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 6, Issue 61)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 2 09:18:43 PST 2003

Magdalena wrote:
>   But, I can't figure out what people find
>appealing about eating chunks of cold cheese.

And Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon replied:
>You're certainly not the only one who dislikes cold cheese. According to
>_Professional Cooking_ by Wayne Gisslen (John Wiley & Sons, 1999),
>nobody is expected to like it:
>
>"*Serve* *cheese* *at* *room* *temperature*. This is the single most
>important rule of cheese service.
SNIP

When i lived in France, i discovered that the French did not keep
their cheese in the refrigerator. They usually didn't keep the butter
in the fridge either, but in a butter dish.

Note, however, that they didn't by humongous amounts as we generally
do (buy in bulk, store in a cold place - i confess that i buy a pound
of butter at a time and keep it in the freezer, taking out a stick
when i will use it). They generally bought fresh foods every day, so
they didn't buy large amounts. Cheese keeps for a number of days,
butter several days - but remember one only buys enough to last a
couple days. And they certainly bought bread fresh just before every
meal - half day old French bread (in France) is no longer edible, but
you could probably bash someone over the head with it.

Anahita
still catching up