[Sca-cooks] gourmet sea salt

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 4 08:56:28 PST 2003

The whole idea of getting salt from different regions and that you could taste the difference still astounds me but here is a website with more different types of sea salt in one place than I've seen before. The fact that you could make money doing this astounds me less.
http://www.saltworks.us/index.asp

I guess if you had the money you could put together a salt tasting party. Some of these seem to be processed with methods similar to those done in period, even from the same regions, maybe from the same salt pans. Some crystals are in a pretty raw state, much as they would have been in period and you can see the different crystal sizes and colors in their photographs.

One comment that amused me about one of the Sicilian salts was "The combination of different minerals and the naturally low percentage of sodium chloride in Ravida sea salt give it a delicate taste and plenty of flavor without being too strong or salty.". A naturally LOW precentage of sodium chloride??? But yes I guess there are actually other salts than the salt generally spoken of when we talk of table salt.

Oh, and for those that have a really big feast coming up, or want to salt their herring or cod catch in a period way, some of these salts are available in 55 pound bags.

Stefan