[Sca-cooks] Shortcuts to period-like foods (was How to Fake It!)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 22:27:35 PST 2003

Olwen declared:
> Well, Cera, do you feel sufficiently brow-beaten yet?  Cripes, all the
> Heros jumped down your neck!  Anyone else need to take a shot at
> her???!  All
> She did was ask a question....
I'm with Olwen here. Cera, I think the biggest problem is actually the
way you originally worded your question or specifically the use of one
word. While "catchy", I think it was a poor choice. That word or phrase
was "How to *Fake* It, when I think what you really want is something
like "Shortcuts to Medieval Food" or "Store-bought Medieval Food".

For I don't think she really means to fake having a period food, but
rather to offer suggestions so that modern non-cooks or inexperienced
cooks can come up with a quick meal that, if not totally period, at
least gives a reasonable impression of it and isn't jarringly modern.
Yes, having a totally period feast would be nice. But for various
reasons, *none* of us has presented a totally period feast. It's a
matter of degree. Cera, please correct me if I am mis-reading what you
are trying to say.

I know others have tried to offer such lists. I know that "Traveling
Dysshes",  written by Siobhan Medhbh
O'Roarke tries to provide some lists of such store-bought foods that
will work in a period setting. But not everyone has the book or has
even read it, especially the newcomers or inexperienced cooks. The more
lists in various places, the better chance these folks are likely to
see them and to possibly make use of them.

As I tried to point out in another message, these lists of food items
can be of use to many people. New folks to the SCa, especially folks
who don't know that much about mundane cooking to those who have more
experience but don't have the time to put a fully period meal together
for a sudden pot luck or an event lunch, which unfortunately often
includes myself. Everyone has limited time and funds. Perhaps there is
someone who prefers to use their time creating the intricate
calligraphy that decorates the Society's scrolls, but who will take a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch rather than spend the time
to grind meat and season and stuff it to make a period sausage. But if
given a list of which modern sausages would be close to period (and
yes, "close" will vary according to individual), would choose to buy
and bring one of those.

Let's work on giving them a reasonable list to start with. Then once
you have gotten them to take that small step, you can work on getting
them to try the simpler redactions that are out there such as
Sekanjabin instead of that can of Coke.

Just having the redactions alone is not enough. Many people don't have
the knowledge of even mundane cooking that will allow them to pick up
many redactions and cook that item. This was very much how I was before
I joined this list, which is obvious if you consider some of the
questions I've asked.

Stefan
Climbing down from the soapbox, er ah, stump.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com