[Sca-cooks] Shortcuts to period-like foods (was How to Fake It!)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 5 06:18:47 PST 2003

> I know others have tried to offer such lists. I know that "Traveling
> Dysshes",  written by Siobhan Medhbh
> O'Roarke tries to provide some lists of such store-bought foods that
> will work in a period setting. But not everyone has the book or has
> even read it, especially the newcomers or inexperienced cooks.

And frankly, that's a good thing.  While Travelling Dysshes has its heart
in the right place, it's awful. For instance, onion and red wine sops with
almond milk is adapted into a kind of cream of onion soup; the period
original recipe given for cameline doesn't match the adaptation, which is
lifted from Pleyn Delit; and there are other howlers, not to mention the
fact that the dishes _don't_ particularly well for travelling.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_