[Sca-cooks] Cooking period foods resembling modern foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 22:57:12 PST 2003

  Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> I know in the past it may have been necessary to get away from period
> foods that were like modern foods. But I think that looking for period
> foods that are cooked similarly to modern foods may be an idea whose
> time has come.
But actually we have been doing this for some time in particular
situations.
How many folks have served one of the period egg dishes for breakfast
at an event? I don't think there is evidence of *any* of these dishes
being specified as a breakfast dish in period. Until late in period,
breakfast seems to have been frowned upon. So in this case we are
serving a period recipe *because* it resembles a modern dish that folks
expect to have at breakfast, not dinner. Many probably would not go for
feast leftovers in the morning, even though that would probably be the
more period thing to do. Some would go for this. But then some people
eat cold pizza and warm beer for breakfast, too. blech.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com