[Sca-cooks] Candying horseradish

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 05:49:08 PST 2003

>Has anyone tried candying horseradish root? Wonder if it was done in
>period? Or mustard-seed comfits? Since sugar was expensive, I imagine you
>used it with expensive imported spices not the local mustard seed.
>
>Stefan

Hee hee hee...

>From the "Llibre de Totes Maneres de Confits":

CAPITOL .VIIJ.e PER CONFEGIR LO RAVE GUALESCH
Pendreu lo rave gualesch e reu lo e feu lo net be ab aygua. E apres telar l
eu menut tot, e apres metreu lo al foch ab aygua  e metreu hi un bon puny de
sall e bulla tant que sia ben mol.  E apres treureu lo n e metreu lo en
aygua freda .viiij.o jorns mudant  tots jorns l aygua. E, com sia be
deselat, aureu fussa vostra  mell, e, ben escumada axi com dit es, metreu lo
ab la mel o axerop  e bulira ferm tro que lo axerop sia fet que fassa fills.
E a mester  en una llr. de rava galesch .j. llr. de mel.

Chapter Eight To Candy Horseradish
Take the horseradish and scrape it and make it clean with water.  And then
chop it all finely, and then put it on the fire with water and add a good
handful of salt and boil it enough so that it is very soft.  And then take
it and put it in cold water for nine days, changing the water each day.
And, once all the salt is removed, have your honey made, and, well skimmed
as it is said before, add it all to the honey or syrup and boil it rapidly
so that the syrup is done when it makes threads. And for one pound of
horseradish one pound of honey is enough.

I keep threatening to make this stuff and take it to the Horseradish
Festival in Collinsville, IL.

Vicente

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson