[Sca-cooks] sour cream uses

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 11 16:34:56 PST 2003

Betsy asked:

Shopping at Costo pre-thanksgiving, my sweetie picked up a 2qt tub of
sour cream- anybody have a recipe or something to use this up before it
goes green on me?
<<<<

Well, I went to the Florilegium and plugged in "sour cream" into the search engine since I wanted recipes using sour cream instead of information about sour cream. If you want the latter, see the dairy-prod-msg file. Here are a few:
meatloaf-msg      (16K)  4/ 8/02    Period meatloaf-like recipes.
Blood-Soup-art    (12K) 12/26/00    "Polish Black Soup - Czarnina" by Casamira
                                       Jawjalny, O.L.
If you have some horse meat, it is used in at least one of the recipes in the horse-meat-msg file.
gazpacho-msg       (8K)  7/30/01    A soup or sauce of vinegar, garlic and bread
...Savanyu Vetrece (Sour Vetrece) which is beef in a sour cream and vinegar sauce... which can be found in this file:
fd-Hungary-msg    (25K) 10/26/01    Food of period Hungary.

>From the fd-Germany-msg file:

saures Kraut mit saurem Raum und Butter (Sauerkraut with Sour Cream and
Butter)

1 lb sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained
1/2 stick butter
1 cup sour cream

Put sauerkraut in a medium pan. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover pan
with a tight fitting lid. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking for 20
mins. Reserving liquid, drain kraut.

Return kraut to pan. Add 1/2 the reserved liquid. On low heat, add butter in
small chunks stirring after each addition until melted. Repeat until all the
butter has been incorporated into the kraut. Mix sour cream into buttered
kraut. Immediately remove from heat and serve.

Ras
<<<