[Sca-cooks] chopping vegetables

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Dec 12 13:08:45 PST 2003

Margali replied to me with:

<blink, blink> remind me to bring my mandoline to pennsic and i can show
you how to play with it and odd shaped veggies.
<<<
Ok, if I decide to come to Pennsic this year I will certainly take you up on this. I remember our discussing mandolins on this list. Then I found one made by Pampered Chef that my wife had apparently bought at one of the Pampered Chef parties. It has about four different blades of different types.

and as for stuffing, why do you insist on small dice? hack and chop
works just fine, unless it is a visual presentation thang.
<<<
No, more of a vocabulary thing. By "dice" I was trying to describe the size I wanted. Not the semi-puree I was getting from the food processor nor big chunks. Hack and chop is probably fine so long as the size ranged from about (pulling out ruler) 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Evenness being more important than symetry. Using a knife for this, is it better to slice them or chop them with the knife?

It also made me think about getting one of the crescent moon shaped knives that we've talked about. The ones from Africa used on a dished wooden block. I saw one of these being used when I was over helping them pre-cook out for our last feast.

Stefan