[Sca-cooks] Eating cats?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 12 21:04:33 PST 2003

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:26:14 -0700
From: "Harris Mark.S-rsve60" <Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com>
Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Re: Pets and Spices
To: "'sca-cooks at ansteorra.org'" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

Ranald commented:

    I have to tell you that when I read this threads subject line I was a
little concerned.  Glad to see that it was NOT about flavouring your pooch!
<<<
Nope. We don't have any recipes for dog. Yet.

We do have recipes for cat. A period recipe, even.

Stefan

A friend of mine from near Genoa came to visit the Philadelphia area last year. Poor guy couldn't find a "decent" cup of espresso until I took him to Gabrielle T's near the hotel (an Italian cafe at the edge of Chinatown, of all places).

Anyway, we were sitting in the bar, chatting, talking about regional foods in Italy. Now, in Genoa, one of the regional dishes is rabbit. But Dlamazio would not eat rabbit. Why? Because even as recently as his childhood, some of the butchers in the area were less than honest. Before laws required that the head of the animal remain attached in the shop, some of the butchers would pass off cat as rabbit. In fact, it was so common than the slang phrase for cat in that area of Italy is "rabbit of the rooftops."

I just about fell off my barstool laughing when I heard that.

Gianotta