[Sca-cooks] Eating cats?

Aurore Gaudin aurore at hot.rr.com
Sat Dec 13 07:02:08 PST 2003

Yes roof rabbit, a term I learned from Stefan's flory-thingy, I get
weirdlooks when I threaten a cat to be roof rabbit.  Aurore

> A friend of mine from near Genoa came to visit the Philadelphia area last
year. Poor guy couldn't find a "decent" cup of espresso until I took him to
Gabrielle T's near the hotel (an Italian cafe at the edge of Chinatown, of
all places).

> Anyway, we were sitting in the bar, chatting, talking about regional foods
in Italy. Now, in Genoa, one of the regional dishes is rabbit. But Dlamazio
would not eat rabbit. Why? Because even as recently as his childhood, some
of the butchers in the area were less than honest. Before laws required that
the head of the animal remain attached in the shop, some of the butchers
would pass off cat as rabbit. In fact, it was so common than the slang
phrase for cat in that area of Italy is "rabbit of the rooftops."