[Sca-cooks] Quinces in 14th century France

Colleen McDonald colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 15:30:28 PST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching the use of quinces and quince paste in 14th century France.

I've found the recipe for Cotignac/Coindignac in Le Menagier, but I did not find any for quinces in the Viandier of Taillevent (Scully).  I haven't come across anything else that mentions/describes quince paste during this period, but I want to make sure that I haven't missed some *obvious* source that I'm not aware of yet.

Any other 14th century quince pastes (or quince recipes) out that that I should be looking for?

Thanks much!

Cainder