[Sca-cooks] Re: bird-stuffed-bird

Lora Weems.Leofwynn atte Gos muchosnombresfarm at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 06:51:58 PST 2003

Hello everyone, I hope everyone had a safe Christmas.  MY boss, Geo.W.Bush, gave us 'feds' today off, bless him.  So I was able to visit my family in New Braunfels Texas, north of San Antonio. (Beornsberg, Ansteorra, I think) Haven't been able to be with them in a long while.

As you may remember, I asked opinions from the list a while ago about stuffing a turkey with other birds.  What I did was:

Boned the carcasse of the turkey.  She was 18 lbs live wt, and I got about 8 pounds of boneless meat from her.  I left her skin on.  Then I cut and moved meat around till I had an even layer of turkey meat.  Seasoned with sage, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper.

Next, I took the dark meat from 6 young cockerells I had butchered, and made that layer, and seasoned again, with more sage and herbes de provance.

On top of that, I layered breast meat from quail, again seasoned, but this time with paprika and tumeric.

I then put a layer of bacon on top.  This is because all I have are range birds, so they run around a lot and have very little fat.  I decided to skin the other birds, instead of plucking, which is faster but removes the skin, so I need some fat to keep the roast from being too dry.

Then, my daughter and I (to rude comments from the peanut gallery, aka our husbands) rolled this monster up, and put it into a net.  Crimped the net and wrapped real tight in plastic, and put into the freezer.  Total wt of this thing was 12 1/2  pounds!

OK. Wednesday we removed the roast from the freezer to thaw, and at omygod in the morning yesterday (I think it was about 4:30 AM) put it in the oven.  I rubbed the outside with butter and a mixture of spices called "mesquite marinade" that I got somewhere that really works well with regular turkey.  350 degrees. basted every hour or so.  The meat thermometer didn't get to 180 till almost 4pm.

Well, when we sliced it it was the prettiest thing you've ever seen! Layers of light and dark, and the different spices made a neat contrast.

And very tender, which I was worried over.  They were young birds, but with free rangers you never know.

A success! (Leofwynn , wiping forehead with relief).

Has anyone else tried the "Tur-Duc-Hen" that has been advertised?  I raise ducks and geese too, and would be tempted to try this with other birds.  (Maybe with goose on the outside, and using squabs, maybe guineas).It is a LOT of work, but the presentation was sensational.

Again, Happy Christmas!

Leofwynn atte Gos

If it's Tourist Season, why can't you shoot them?