[Sca-cooks] Cookbooks with period recipes for beginners

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 26 21:20:41 PST 2003

  Brangwayna commented on "Traveling Dysshes" with
> I'm sorry it's marketed as an easy source for newcomers who want to
> bring
> period stuff with them, because it's not a good example of the genre.
Which "genre" are you talking about specifically? Cookbooks with period
recipes? Cookbooks with period recipes for beginners? Cookbooks with
period recipes for beginning cooks?

What cookbook would you recommend for the latter two? Especially the
last? Does it have a list of items that these folks can pick up from
the grocery and use at an SCA pot luck which are at least
psuedo-medieval? I'd be happy to try to do my part in helping new cooks
get into period cooking by using the Florilegium, if someone wants to
create a bibliography or an article on this subject.

Or, I do have a small file of easy recipes and redactions for folks new
to cooking as well as period cooking, and additions to this would be
welcome. Actually some of these aren't bad for more experienced cooks
who are trying to come up with something period at the last minute for
a pot-luck, as I was earlier this holiday season.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com