[Sca-cooks] dry-cured ham source

Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 08:31:16 PST 2003

I got my dry-cured ham at Sam's club.  It wasn't nearly as good as my
sister's home-cured (she also makes the best bacon, but I digress), but
it was passable.  Just remember to soak overnight before using.  If
boiling (and I recommend that you do), discard soaking water and replace
with fresh water before boiling.  Boil/simmer to internal temperature of
160 degrees, then peel off fat and skin, and roast/glaze as desired (I
never do this-just eat them boiled, but yum!!!).  Flavorful, succulent,
and not the insipid, water-pumped flavorless kind of ham...you'll become
a ham snob, mark my words...<eg>.

Halima
Raven's Cove