[Sca-cooks] Re: holiday dinners

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 29 18:46:15 PST 2003

I am sure my memories of holiday dinners are a mixture of many cultures,
but I know some of it is Italian.

Sausage stuffing (cooked in a separate pan, my Dad likes it crunchy, with
lots of fennel in it.  This   was only on the holiday where Mom made turkey.
Turkey or Ham depending on the holiday.
A green vegetable
Mashed potatoes
Yams.  Not candied yams, just yams with lots of butter.
squash.  either butternut or acorn, later on Hubbard squash
gravy--made from scratch.  I am still learning how to make gravy so
sometimes I used canned gravy I doctor up.
Pumpkin pie--made with something called a milk pumpkin(also called
a  cheese squash/pumpkin--although I finally discovered that it is probably
what is called a long island cheese pumpkin) these pumpkins are primarily
grown/sold in northern NJ/orange county NY (I think it's orange county)
Apple pie

Now to the condiments:
jellied cranberries
whole cranberries
fresh cranberry sauce (after Dad became diabetic, it's made with a bag of
cranberries, an apple and an orange--and a food processor) sugar to taste
yellow picked cauliflower stuff in a jar
sweet gherkins
bread and butter pickles
baby dill pickles
black olives
green olives stuffed with pimentos
olive condite (although that is almost impossible to find anymore)
roasted red peppers (plain, not in oil, not hot)
Celery stuffed with cream cheese and walnuts
As someone else on the list said we usually had a bowl of mixed nuts (in
shells) and also a big fruit bowl with oranges, grapes and tangelos I think.