[Sca-cooks] about crock pots

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Tue Dec 2 08:52:21 PST 2003

Because while the temp is low by most cooking standards, it is high
enough to kill germs.  The recommended temp to prevent germs from
proliferating is 140 degrees F.  If you've ever burned your mouth on
soup out of a crockpot, you'll know they definately get hotter than that.

It is recommended that you not cook large pieces of meat in slow cookers
because they have a slow rate of heat transfer.  They take too long to
reach an appropriate internal temperature, and it's easy to accidentally
undercook them.  Though, to be honest, most of us are smart enough to
use a meat thermometer...

While we're on the topic, I'd love to start using my own crockpot more.
Does anybody have good slow-cooker recipes?  What period recipes
translate well to crockpots?  (For cooking, anyway - I've definately
used them for keeping cooked food hot for serving.)

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei