Not OOP--serving shrimp (was Re: [Sca-cooks] OP: shrimps

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 14:12:41 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/2/2003 3:57:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:

<<In C. Anne Wilson's  _Food in Britain_, she talks about shrimp being eaten
in period and that they were served with vinegar. But that's all that she
says. How would one go about cooking and serving shrimp, for, say, a 13th
c. feast? Or would this have been considered low-class and not served?>>

No, there are definitely recipes for shrimps, "lopisters", and similar items
in period recipe manuscripts.  I know there is at least one in Take a Thousand
Eggs.  They mostly just seem to be "boil and serve with vinegar".  Quite
tasty, too - I did some for an intro to medieval food class that I did for local
Girl Scout leaders.

Brangwayna