[Sca-cooks] Cheese, warm or cold (was: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol6, Issue 61)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 2 20:03:20 PST 2003

>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>> half day old French bread (in France) is no longer edible, but
>> you could probably bash someone over the head with it.
>
>Only for certain values of the term "French bread."  Lionel Poilane (Lord
>High God himself) claimed his breads were best on the third day after
>baking, IIRC, and are quite moist and tasty a week after baking.  Any bread
>made with a slow ferment and without commercial yeast will generally do
just
>fine for several days if kept in a dry environment.
>
>-Lorenz

I suspect what is being referred to as "French bread" is the baguette, which
are baked three times a day.  They are best eaten while warm, but they can
last a couple of days.  After that, feed them to the food processor for
breadcrumbs.

Baguettes are yeasted to give them they airy texture and have too large a
surface area to mass to retain moisture very long.

Bear