[Sca-cooks] Dieting

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 2 09:21:47 PST 2003

As someone else doing Atkins, i am annoyed when i hear "reporters" on
TV or the radio declaiming about Atkins and how it's nothing but
protein and fat. Obviously no one on their research "team" bothered
to even look at a few salient pages of any of Atkins' books.

Yes, it can be high in protein, and yes, it doesn't restrict fats,
but it also includes vegetables - 3 cups a day even during the first
two weeks of "induction" and more after that's over - and a
restricted list of fruits once past those two weeks.

One adds carbs into the diet in a controlled way week by week until
one reaches a point at which one stops losing weight. If one is not
near one's goal, one restricts carbs a bit. There are a few things
that are off the diet. Sugar is one. Rice is another. But one can add
in whole grains and pulses in controlled quantities as one progresses.

One does not *have* to buy or even eat "weird" foods. If one misses
bread and pasta, then perhaps one will want to find low carbohydrate
substitutes - one can even make one's own using few "weird"
ingredients. If one misses sweets, well, it is true one turns to some
kind of sweetener. I'm sure many folks on this list already consume
"sugar free" soft drinks - how weird it that? Using "Splenda" instead
of saccharine or aspartame (commercially known as "Nutrasweet") isn't
particularly "weird"

Last time i did Atkins, once i'd make a fair bit of progress i could
eat angel food cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, as
long as there wasn't sugar in any of it and i watched my cake serving
size.

So i can't eat potatoes. How's that some huge deprivation? Yes, i
miss them, but there are various kinds of restrictions on any
weight-reduction or health-oriented diet. And I never ate a lot of
sweets anyway. As i've protested on this list, i don't like very
sweet stuff.

The Atkins diet encourages exercise. It sometimes encourages caloric
limits. Yes, i need to exercise more. I can't afford to join a gym,
and with my foot, knee, hip, and back problems, jogging isn't really
an option. I do need to walk more.

I've tried 1200 calorie diets, measuring everything i eat, and i
exercised more, and i lost weight more slowly than on Atkins (and on
Atkins i lose about 5 lb/mo).

But one doesn't need to buy weird food on Atkins, some folks just
want something to replace foods they miss.

Anahita
still catching up