[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 4 07:28:33 PST 2003

> I’m looking a running a simple periods cooking discussion at our 12th night
> (the feast of fools) on how to do period lunches and off board meals without
> needing to research recipes. Bottom line, how to make it appear and even
> possibly taste like period food without any real work. Things like foods
> that can be prepped ahead of time, stand up to travel and can be eaten cold.

I can understand saying 'what can you get at the grocery store that will
pass' and my dayboards handout has an excellent list from Mistress
Christiana:
http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/dayboards.html

# cold sliced deli meats, chicken, ham, roast beef, salami, sausages
(kielbasa type), chunks o' ham, roasted chickens, canned smoked
oysters,clams, sardines, lox
# dijon style mustard, stone ground mustard, onion relish, horseradish
sauce
# sliced cheeses, cheese spreads (herbed and peppered), feta, blue,
cheddar, brie, riccotta, swiss
# asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, mushrooms,
radishes (red and white), scallions - maybe a quick veggie platter?
# oranges, blood oranges, peaches, pears, apples (not Delicious, Pink Lady
is close to a period variety), apricots, cherries, grapes, watermelon,
(cantelope & honeydew aren't exactly period, but close to period
varieties), figs, plums, quince,  pomegranate, berries (strawberries,
blueberries)
# Any of these as dried fruits, plus dates, raisins, currants, prunes,
almonds, walnuts, chestnuts
# hardboiled eggs, yogurt (for dipping fruit or veggies in, consider some
sugar and yogurt for dipping strawberries)
# bread rolls, shortbread, matzoh, Norwegian flatbread (RyeKrisp),
breadsticks, rye bread, oatmeal bread, pita bread
# olives, pickles, pickled vegetables (giardinera - that stuff with the
cauliflower), marinated artichoke hearts, pickled okra
# sparkling non-alcoholic fruit ciders, root beer (somewhat of a stretch,
but not too far), almond milk (available in aeseptic containers), lemonade

But if you are going to prep things at home, there are lots of period
stuff that you can make from recipes that ARE period and aren't a lot of
work. If you would like a recipe for the Andalusian stuffed eggs-- which
are just as easy to prepare as regular stuffed eggs-- or for Welserin's
roast beef-- which can be prepared easily at home and served cold, I will
be happy to help.

Mustards are another easy to make thing that can be actually deputed to a
small child on site!

Many sauces can be made ahead of time and frozen in small batches-- pull
out the container and use it to cool your lunchsack!

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_