[Sca-cooks] appetizers- menu (long)

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 4 08:29:45 PST 2003

Cecily detailed her appetizer menu for the feast she was doing and commented:
Cornecopia of winter fresh and dried fruits and nuts:
Apples, hazelnuts, walnuts, dried cherries, blueberries, plums, etc.
Horseradish, mustards, smoked or pickled fish, dilled brussel sprouts and
garlic
<<<<<<
I assume this is actually a horseradish "sauce"? I was reading this after the long list of nuts and fruits and thinking of strips of horseradish root...

Has anyone tried candying horseradish root? Wonder if it was done in period? Or mustard-seed comfits? Since sugar was expensive, I imagine you used it with expensive imported spices not the local mustard seed.

Stefan
PS: Cecily, congratulations on getting your Laurel.