[Sca-cooks] appetizers- menu (long)

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Wed Dec 3 22:14:20 PST 2003

When I signed up to do this event, the autocrat I was working with wanted
fingerfoods and sandwich fixings, with a late period/traditional English
theme. When the original autocrat went missing due to mundane life, the
replacement wanted the same except change the year to 1004.  (and the
Kingdom Financial Commitee had already trimmed the budget by 1/3rd). So I
came up with this menu, after looking for everything I could find on
viking/Anglo-Saxon cooking. The original menu included a boar's head made
from two hams, that was retained in the new menu as was the simple cakes for
the Lord and Lady of Misrule. This is not a feast, but is a buffet of
munchies/appetizer's, so the selection of food has been heavily slanted
toward finger foods and a little slanted toward modern tastes.

The Menu:

2 Cakes at troll-one for lords, one for ladies-containing a token in each
that will determine lord and lady of Misrule for the evening.

Boar's head (ham)
Roast Beef (cold sliced)
Assorted Cheeses -including slices and 'curds with honey'
Assorted breads including sourdough and dark and light rye breads
Honey roasted Chicken (wings)
Spiral-layered meatloafs in pastry, cold and sliced
Salmon turnovers
Berry turnovers
Barley flatbreads and oatcakes with three compotes:
garlic mushrooms
Quince/crabapple/apple/current
Honey-glazed root veggies
Fresh greens with raspberry vinegrette
Cornecopia of winter fresh and dried fruits and nuts:
Apples, hazelnuts, walnuts, dried cherries, blueberries, plums, etc.
Horseradish, mustards, smoked or pickled fish, dilled brussel sprouts and
garlic

Drinks will include Hot honey/spiced apple drink and chilled buttermilk
Lemon iced tea and Ice water
(Unfortunately I can't serve my preffered choices of ale and mead due to the
site)

Cecily