[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

dailleurs at liripipe.com dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Dec 4 09:55:47 PST 2003

hey all from Anne-Marie

By "faking it" I'm assuming you actually mean "no cook period and perioide foods that one can pick up at the store".

here's the lsit that I give new people:
***************
We don’t always have time to cook at events, or the event doesn’t lend itself well to a full kitchen. Here’s some ideas for period and perioide food to pick up at the grocery store on your way to the event. Fill up your cooler with ice, put things in ziplock bags to keep them dry, and you’re on your way! Be sure to bring nice medieval serving bowls and plates.

--precooked roasted chicken (not bbq flavored!)
--nice bread and interesting cheese, properly served
--hardboiled or pickled eggs
--marinated mushrooms, pickled asparagus or other interesting things from your grocery deli
--fruit pies
--a custard pie or quiche
--salami or thuringer sausage, cut up and properly served.
--feta and olives (if you’re doing a mediterranean portrayal)
--dates
--green salad from a salad bar or in a bag, with a vineagrette dressing on the side
--smoked meats or a slab of roast beef, chicken breast, etc from the deli and some interesting mustard
--fresh fruit, cut into nice serving sized bits (toss with lemon juice to keep from browning)

stuff to avoid:
tomatos
potatos
anything with chile peppers, bell peppers, etc
vanilla flavored stuff
tropical fruits as a general rule
brazil nuts, cashew nuts or macadamias
chocolate (alas!)
all these foods are considered "new world", ie relatively unknown to our medieval counterparts.