[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Dec 4 10:32:34 PST 2003

>I’m looking a running a simple periods cooking
>discussion at our 12th night (the feast of
>fools) on how to do period lunches and off board
>meals without needing to research recipes.
>Bottom line, how to make it appear and even
>possibly taste like period food without any real
>work. Things like foods that can be prepped
>ahead of time, stand up to travel and can be
>eaten cold.
>
>To this end, for the fun of it, I thought I’d
>ask the list, how have you faked it in the past.
>What more modern recipes have you passed of as
>period (looking) to make your life simpler and
>table spread look more authentic? Before you
>answer that, BBQ chicken for the grocery store
>doesn’t count since whom here hasn’t done that
>at least once. :-)

I find the question puzzling. If you are serving
period foods that are commonly available
today--apples, for example--you aren't faking it.
If you are passing off modern recipes as period
when they aren't then you are deliberately
misleading the people you are feeding, which
strikes me as a bad thing to do, or advise others
to do.

I have made mistakes in the past--I used to serve
honey butter, for instance, under the vague
impression that it was the sort of thing medieval
people would serve. But that was not a deliberate
attempt to fake something, merely a mistake.

If all you want to do is to make it appear and
taste like period food without any work--or at
least, without any more work than if were not
period--that's easy. Just cook easy period
recipes instead of hard period recipes. It isn't
as if you have to do the research yourself--you
are free to leave the fun part to the rest of us
if you really want to. There are, after all, lots
of worked out period recipes readily available,
including hundreds of them online.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/