[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 16:00:28 PST 2003

I am glad we did not traumatize you, but your
first message did push a few hot buttons, mine
included.

But now that you have made your subject more
clear, there are a few substitutions that I think
are acceptable.  Personally, I suck at making pie
crust and find the Pilsbury refrigerated [not
frozen] pie crusts almost as good as home-made.

I have also used frozen bread dough to make
trenchers, especially when time grows short and
you have just realized that you just don't have
time to make bread dough for 300 trenchers.
Since there are few period bread recipes anyway,
frozen bread dough is a reasonable substitute.

I haven't done this, but I don't think that these
are bad choices, but I know of several head cooks
who have purchased bread from a bakery to serve
at banquets.  Freshly baked bakery bread is
certainly a period way to go and is much more
acceptable than serving Wonder Bread.

I also have seen people use filo [or phylo] dough
as a substitute for a crust. I have also seen
people use wonton wrappers the same way. While
they aren't period, they certainly aren't so out
of period that they are jarring when used.
However, I am not advocating that use of baklava
[as much as I love it] made with filo as a period
dessert.

Huette

--- Cera Chonaill <cera_chonaill at hotmail.com>

=====