[Sca-cooks] Period Foods: How to Fake It!

Cera Chonaill cera_chonaill at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:32:05 PST 2003

Yes exactly, just with more period recipes that with simple substitution
will make it easy for them to make, keep and transport. Such as instead of
buying the bread already baked ask for the ready to bake version and do the
rest yourself. With the non baked version you can use it for recipes that
have you making the bread and stuffing it with something. This way the non
cook doesn't have to learn how to bake bread for an otherwise simple recipe.
(I have to admit I'm still doing this sometimes as my attempts at bread
making still turn out mostly flat.)

Since I try to make things as period as possible that I forget sometimes
that it isn't always as simple as it looks with even easier period recipes
from a non cooks perspective. I'm trying to get them into the kitchen to
start with simple attempts using more readly available substitutions such as
the pie shell to make a savory pie that calls for a coffin. This will give
them the feel/look of a period lunch table. While there are lots of recipes
out there I would like to know what you've actually tried using a simple
substitution to make it easier to make that would be good for a non cook to
start with.

.... Once I get them into the kitchen lookout .... I'll convert the lot of
them in happy cooks .... ok, so one can dream :-)

Cera