[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 08:27:43 PST 2003

> Can you get Isinglass anymore, or do I have to go catch the right kind of
> fish for their bladders?  <double icky!>
>
> Selene Colfox

 >I can buy it at the International Market.  As a matter of fact, I have
a packet or two at home.
 >Want me to mail it to you??  Do I have your address??
 >Olwen

Would that be dangerous? <GGG>  Thank you, you are too kind.
 My mailing [not residence] address is:
Susan Fox-Davis
15030 Ventura Blvd.
Suite 431
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 USA

>If you're using any kind of gelatin make sure that it's specified on your
>ingredient list! My husband is allergic to dairy products and beef, and
>regular gelatin causes an allergic reaction. We haven't tried isenglass ...
>but I expect that isenglass would cause a reaction in folks with bony-fish
>allergies.
>
>Cynara

Ouch, that is a good point.  If memory serves, we used the Asian style
almond gel, which is based on agar-agar, a seaweed product and not an
animal product at all.  And yummy.

Selene C.