[Sca-cooks] Almond Jello (was Period Foods: How to Fake It!)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 09:32:52 PST 2003

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ouch, that is a good point.  If memory serves,
> we used the Asian style
> almond gel, which is based on agar-agar, a
> seaweed product and not an
> animal product at all.  And yummy.
>
> Selene C.

I just looked at one of the boxes that I keep
around, called "Almond Flavor Agar Mix":

Sugar, agar agar (seaweed extract), gelatin,
non-dairy creamer, artificial flavor, lactose.

This is the Golden Coins brand.

DoFu Delight, the other brand I have, contains
this:

Sugar, seaweed extracts, starch, gelatin, almond
flavor.

Neither appears to be animal product free.  But
there may be others I haven't tried yet that may
be gelatin free.  I will have to look.

I used DoFu Delight for the banquet and I used
the Golden Coins for the Royal Luncheon I did
last year.  They both work and taste the same.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.