[Sca-cooks] candied orange peel

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:37:41 PST 2003

>How long can I store candied orange peels?  I don't figure they'll go bad
>quickly, but will the texture change if I store them too long?  I'm
>wondering if they are something I can do this far ahead for Christmas.
>I've always served or eaten them fresh before - they're usually too good to
>leave alone ;)
>
><musing>I tend to buy organic oranges for anything involving the peel.
>Between the pesticides on the surface and the wax (which I hate skimming
>off the top of my truffle ganache as it cools,) I've always been more
>comfortable that way.  I hope I can find organic blood oranges.  I've seen
>them in the past, but sporadically.</musing>
>
>-Magdalena

If you have completely removed all the pith and dried out the
orange/lemon/lime/grapefruit peel after/during candying then they will last
quite a long time in a ziplock bag.  I have kept it around for a couple
months.  Ginger and cranberries are a little more iffy as you don't want to
completely dehydrate every drop of moisture from them.  I normally store
them in ziplocks and keep in the fridge, although they can last a week or so
without being in the fridge.  Recently I have taken to candying and
partially drying the berries used to make cordials.  Mistress Bec usually
keeps the "boozin-berries" to top ice cream with but she had so much last
decanting I begged for some.  Yup.. they are delicious!
Olwen