[Sca-cooks] Cooking period foods resembling modern foods

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Dec 5 13:45:47 PST 2003

At 09:12 AM 12/5/2003 -0800, Huette wrote:
>. . .  I have not been able to find precisely
>when the Dutch served their pancakes and waffles.
>I have found many paintings of them making and
>eating such, but it is not clear to me what time
>of day it is in the paintings.  The only
>illustration that might gives me a hint is one
>called "Twelfth Night Feast", which has a plate
>of waffles amongst all the other offerings. . . .

Interesting question. I know that some of the modern Pennsylvania "Dutch"
eat waffles or pancakes with chicken gravy for dinner. In fact, that's on
the menu at my aunt's restaurant, though the chef (from Pittsburgh) didn't
quite know what to make of the description he was given and wound up
putting mashed potatoes on the waffles rather than on the side. They still
serve it that way -- his mistake turned into an innovation.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon