[Sca-cooks] Porringers?

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Dec 6 19:17:32 PST 2003

Was asked:

> I'm trying to put together a set of period table implements. Currently,
I'm
> looking at pewter. I have found on-line references to porringers from the
> 17th century, but not earlier. Regrettably, I don't have access to books
on
> table settings just now, although I know they're out there.
>
> So, two questions - how early were they manufactured and used, and what
> would be the best choice for a book on period table settings? I'm
> concentrating on western Europe, c. 1250 - 1500.

I can't recommend any books in specific for the period you requested
although I seem to remember that "Fast and Feast" has some information that
might be helpful.  What I would suggest is, at least for the later portion
of the period, looking at paintings of the period that depict feasts and
feasting.  The artifacts recovered from the Mary Rose would be of interest
but they lie outside your time constraints.

As a side note why pewter?  Metal was expensive, wooden and pottery items
were cheaper and thus more likely to be used.  Horn used either as spoons or
cups/tumblers would seem to me to be a good choice as well.  This brings up
an interesting point I've seen examples of out of period horn cups, i.e.
cups created from a straight section of horn which after heating to gain
flexability had a horn or glass disk forced down from the larger end such
that it seats into an incised groove near the smaller end.  Does anyone know
of any documentation that this was a period practice?

Daniel