[Sca-cooks] Porringers?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 7 09:25:18 PST 2003

The earliest reference in the OED is from 1522, but the definition found
there encompasses most small bowls of wood, ceramic or metal in that it does
not specify that they have a handle.  Apparently, the handle is a later
adaptation and determining the evolution of the handle on porringers would
likely be a study in itself.

Pewter was definitely in use in the 13th Century (there are Roman pieces
from England in existence) and there is a painting of John of Gaunt from the
14th Century showing trenchers which are probably pewter.  I haven't been
looking pewterware (other than trenchers) in my ramblings through Medieval
dining scenes, but if I see any, I'll let you know.

Bear