[Sca-cooks] Porringers?

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Dec 7 12:35:59 PST 2003

Was written:

> Metal dishes are a display of wealth as well as being practical to
transport
> in the baggage.
>
> The more I look at the various rituals surrounding dining in the great
> households, the more I believe that they are tied to presenting an image
of
> power and to strengthening the loyalty of those in service to the
household.
> Even today, there is a tendency to feed the guests off the best china.

In such circumstances it would seem to me that glass would be an appropriate
material for some objects and gold and silver or at least silver and gold
inlay for others.  Additionally pottery that is unique, puzzle jugs and
puzzle mugs, would be at hand as well.  There are examples of such in "Fast
and Feast".