[Sca-cooks] gourmet sea salt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 14:52:58 PST 2003

Avraham replied to me with:
> Cook's Illuistrated did a tasting of salts in Sept 2002. They
> concluded that
> sea salts are best saved for use at the table, where the delicate
> nuances of
> flavor variation and, in particular, their special crunch can best be
> savored.
Yes, I remember that article and I agree that using these salts in
cooking may not make much difference, which is part of what I was
commenting on on taste differences. The pictures on the website
mentioned of the salt does reinforce the idea that there can be a
difference in color and crystal size so that the different types could
taste different. But even the period writers commented on some salts
being better for salting fish and such than other salts, so if someone
wanted to try some of these arts as opposed to cooking, this site might
be useful.
> They found that the largest crystals won the most points when
> sprinkled on a steak - Maldon Sea Salt won that round of tests.
Thank you. I'd forgotten how they ranked the salts. Maldon was one of
the salts available at the website mentioned.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com