[Sca-cooks] Cooking period foods resembling modern foods

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 8 06:07:30 PST 2003

>>When it was eaten breakfast appears to have been a little bread and beer
(or
>>wine) to keep hunger at bay until lunch.  Coffee, tea and cocoa began
>>replacing beer during the 17th Century.  The "petit dejune" (if I remember
>>the spelling correctly) of selected breads, pastries, butter and jams
served
>>with coffee, tea or cocoa and occasionally side meat may be an evolution
of
>>the medieval breakfast.
>
>Where are you getting this from? What culture does it apply to? I have
>scholarly works here which state that lunch was a later development for
>at least one of the cultures which I am interested in. As for generic
>Western medieval. Let's examine your contention. In an agrarian Society,
>most adult men are going to be accustomed to getting up in the morning
>and going off to the fields, pastures or woods to work during the day.
>In such societies, breakfast and dinner will be taken at home and hearth,
>but any sort of lunch will be a fairly modest affair. Last I heard, the
>English tended to eat gruel in the morning. Gruel was basically porridge
>mixed with meat drippings and scraps from the evening meal. This is rather
>hearty fair if a bit humble. Incidentally, the traditional German farm
>breakfast is quite substantial and includes meat and fish and cheese and
>similar dishes.
>
> Solveig Throndardottir

I'm thinking of the Medieval two meals a day, but I'm applying the modern
three meals a day words.  Bad form I admit.

I am also thinking in terms of the great households and the nobility
(primarily English) where there is evidence of food being consumed upon
rising although it was not considered a meal.  I'd have to dig for the
references on this as my library is in major disarray from my retirement.

I know about German breakfasts, but the niggling thought pops into my head,
"traditional" from when?

Bear