[Sca-cooks] Cooking period foods resembling modern foods

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 8 07:36:35 PST 2003

> Where are you getting this from? What culture does it apply to? I have
> scholarly works here which state that lunch was a later development for
> at least one of the cultures which I am interested in. As for generic
> Western medieval. Let's examine your contention. In an agrarian Society,
> most adult men are going to be accustomed to getting up in the morning
> and going off to the fields, pastures or woods to work during the day.
> In such societies, breakfast and dinner will be taken at home and hearth,
> but any sort of lunch will be a fairly modest affair. Last I heard, the
> English tended to eat gruel in the morning. Gruel was basically porridge
> mixed with meat drippings and scraps from the evening meal. This is rather
> hearty fair if a bit humble. Incidentally, the traditional German farm
> breakfast is quite substantial and includes meat and fish and cheese and
> similar dishes.

Let us examine your contention that food was eaten first thing in the
morning. None of the scholarly literature that I have read, including the
works of Terence Scully and Bridget Henisch, suggest that any meal (as
opposed to snack) was regularly eaten before 10 am. In fact, workers
generally came home for MID-DAY 'dinner', just as they did the later
agrarian societies later on (see 18th and 19th c. historical works for
later info). Supper is the later meal, Dinner is generally when you break
your fast.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_