[Sca-cooks] waiting...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 9 07:10:29 PST 2003

Why I said small hands help is that mine are small enough to work in and
around
the inside of the bird once you start on the process of turning the bird
inside out and
taking the bones out. You can actually do this and not break the skin.
Took 45 minutes
and a lot of swearing the first time I did it, but I managed to get the
bones out and the
bird stuffed and looking like it it was a normal roasted chicken. It
wasn't the neatest of jobs,
but the final result was good tasting and an award winner.  I'd advise
keep trying
every once in awhile on the Sunday roaster at home with no SCA feast
pressure
and perhaps one of these days it will just work!   I don't advise ever
deboning chickens and then stuffing that are going to be grilled,
however. We discovered that those
tend to disintegrate and there's nothing to grab onto when turning
thirty of them on
the big propane grills. One doesn't have the time, they stick to the
grills, they fall apart,
the flames are burning the ones that haven't been turned. One of those
memorable never
again moments. One cooks and learns.

Johnnae