[Sca-cooks] process approach to food history

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 9 09:55:39 PST 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
Got into a discussion on our kingdom list about relating period and modern

>food, which brought up some interesting thoughts.
>
>Are we ready to teach/consider food history in terms of process? Are we
>ready to address the foods that are related in some way to period foods,
>and discuss how modern foods may have evolved from period foods?

Do you mean that we can take a food or recipe and follow it through history?
I have been researching recipes over and through the centuries  for a
number of countless
years at this point. What it takes is a comprehensive library of sources
more than
anything else. Once one has the books it's a questions of choosing
volumes to pull
off the shelves and look at.
See my article in icing as an example. of what it is that I do.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mkcooks/SUGARICING.htm
or
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugar-Icing-art.rtf.

Or did you mean something else?