[Sca-cooks] gourmet sea salt

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 10:24:41 PST 2003

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:
> Oooh. Sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, I guess you don't have a
> recipe for this, do you?

The lamb itself was fairly simply prepared, so I could (and will) probably
re-create the recipe.  Here's my initial guess:

Spice/herb rub containing sea salt, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and black
pepper in something like a 16 : 2 : 1 : 0.5 ratio.  Lightly coat entire lamb
rack and chill for 30-60 minutes.  Dry-heat saute pan over high heat.   Sear
lamb fat-side down first, and turn until evenly browned.  Pop in 350 degree
oven for about 20 minutes, or until done to taste.

It was served with a red wine reduction which was also wonderful, and which
I probably couldn't exactly re-create.  I'll try it with one of my pinot
and/or port reductions instead.

> However, I'm wondering if the sea salt is actually making the
> difference that you tasted in this lamb dish you had or whether it
> was simply the salt, any salt, which would do this. I guess to really
> know you would have to cook this same dish twice, with regular salt
> and with sea salt.

Believe me, it was the sea salt.  Rack of lamb is one of my favorite dishes
and when I do it at home I always use kosher salt before coating with other
things.  The tang and crunch of the sea salt was unmistakeable in their
version.

-Lorenz