[Sca-cooks] wafers

KristiWhyKelly at aol.com KristiWhyKelly at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 17:30:31 PST 2003

I did it for Atlantia 20 year a few years back, it was the Sunday meal.  It
took 6 copy paper boxes and I had to use 6 gallon sized zip locs for the rest.
The boxes were lined with foil and then I put a sheet or two on top of the
filled box then the lid.  The wafers were in good shape (not too many broken)
and still crisp and fresh tasting.

We were a team of 3 people, I mixed the batches and my two girl friends
manned two pizzelle irons each.  We did it in two nights.  Not bad!

The recipe that I used was from 'All the King's cooks' but I did flavor them
with modern flavors.  Anise 1000 and 600 lavender.

I had lots left over and they kept for at least an other month in the boxes,
by then I was sick of them and threw them away.

Grace

In a message dated 12/9/2003 5:52:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:
Grace commented:

> If you are trying to store a large number of wafers a foil lined copy paper
> box will do the trick.  I stored over 1600 of them for over a month, they
> stayed crisp and didn't go stale.<<<
>
> 1600? How many copy paper boxes did that take? And how long did it take you
to make that many? I'm surprised you weren't worried about the first ones
going stale before you finished the last ones. Last Thursday night I baked wafers
for the cookie exchange. It took me about an hour and a half to make 38 with
my iron. 1600? Was this by yourself or did you have an army of bakers and
pizelle irons to do this? 1600? :-)

> And which recipe did you use? Was it one that has been discussed here
previously?

> Stefan

Ok, now I'm wondering. My sweetie and I once were trying to figure out how
long it would take to make the 20,000 to 30,000 wafers that Chiquart says
to have your pastry cook make, and I was wondering what the members of
this fine list might have to say on the topic.

Using my manual non-electric krumkake iron, on the electric stove, it took
about two minutes per wafer. By my calculations that would be about 1000
man-hours to make that many wafers, and that's just the cooking part.

Anybody else care to comment?

Margaret